    SubjectRe: Updated 2.4 TODO List -- new addition WAS(test9 PCI
       Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:18:23 +0200
    From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>

    I disagree the stability/feature ratio needs are different between
    kernel and userspace (at least excluding the FPU handling that of
    course doesn't matter for kernel :).

    Tell that to people who want a %100 standards compliant c++ compiler.
    :-)

    Offering that adds a certain amount of risk. It may be desirable to
    not take that risk for building the kernel, and the kernel has no c++
    needs thus...

    Often, suitability of a compiler for the kernel is based upon time in
    widespread use.

    I have no arguments against your statements that 2.2.x, 2.4.x should
    be fixed to build with the newer compiler. It should be fixed as soon
    as possible, without question.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.027 / U:0.020 seconds]