SubjectRe: Further info on CDR-writing problems under 2.2.16
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:55:13PM +0100, Athanasius wrote:
> I'm on 2.2.17pre13 (not the latest I know, I need to sort out
> compiling latest and a reboot), my Mitsumi CR-4804TE CD-R/RW drive seems
> to work happily enough with xcdroast to write one disk, but then goes
> into super sulk mode, even getting to the stage of not wanting to mount
> and read a normal CD (I don't think it's actively objecting to the old
> Win95 CD I used to test...). The first time this happened a reboot
> seemed to clear it up. I prefer not to reboot unless I have to so
> haven't again yet.

Ok, I'm on 2.2.18pre15 now, and using mkisofs and cdrecord directly.
I'm also using 'speed=2' on the cdrecord commandline. If it's relevant,
this is using IDE-SCSI emulation. Now, I've just managed to write 4 CDs
in a row on one bootup fine, but the 5th one bombed out nastily (as I
was writing the first version of this email, it must have been
watching). I'm trying again with a:

echo 1 >> /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/debug

Ah, it's just crapped out again, all be it twice as far in this time
(95MB in rather than 43MB). Hmmmm, those first 4 burns mostly had big
gaps inbetween (1 and 2 had quite a gap, 2 to 3 was 12 hours and more, 3
and 4 were done right after each other). I wonder if I simply have some
overheating problem in the drive.

Anyways, some more data to add to the pile, hopefully it helps
someone track down the culprit.

thanks,

-Ath
--