Subjectset_rtc_mmss ?
Date
Hello!

I am currently running the tarball linux-2.2.17 from ftp.kernel.org on a
RedHat Linux 6.2 server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 4300 with 1GB RAM
, 2 x PIII600 and a DRAC PERC2/SC RAID controller.

The server mainly runs software like MySQL Server, Samba Server, NFS
Server and LDAP Server.

All is working well except that randomly, sometimes afer a few days or
sometimes after many weeks, the following error message would appear when
I type dmesg at the shell prompt.

set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 50 to 1
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 50 to 2
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 50 to 3
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 50 to 4
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 53 to 4
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 53 to 5
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 53 to 6
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 53 to 7
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 49 to 0
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 49 to 1
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 49 to 2
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 49 to 3
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 56 to 7
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 56 to 8
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 56 to 9
set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 56 to 10

And when I check up on /proc/rtc, it is no longer running and is stuck at
the time when the first set_rtc_mmss error occurs. When I tried to run
programs like setclock to update the hardware clock, it just jams there
for a very long time and a strace shows that it is trying to access
/proc/rtc .

server:~# date
Tue Oct 10 21:21:04 SGT 2000

server:~# uptime
9:21pm up 36 days, 4:54, 1 user, load average: 2.88, 2.04, 1.83

server:~# cat /proc/rtc
rtc_time : 17:41:57
rtc_date : 2000-10-09
rtc_epoch : 1900
alarm : 04:33:37
DST_enable : no
BCD : yes
24hr : yes
square_wave : no
alarm_IRQ : no
update_IRQ : no
periodic_IRQ : no
periodic_freq : 1024
batt_status : okay

server:~# fuser -u -a -v /proc/rtc

USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/proc/rtc
No process references; use -v for the complete list

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? The only
solution that I came across till date is to reboot the server and then
set back the correct date/time in the CMOS before allowing the server to
bootup.

Many thanks in advance!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.029 / U:0.040 seconds]