    SubjectRe: [RFC] New ideas for the OOM handler
    On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
    > > it also might be good to have options to kill anything connected to a pty
    > > first, and to not kill anything attatched to the console. obviously these
    > > leave ways for admins to shoot themselves in the foot, but they could be
    > > useful.
    > I _had_ thought of that, but I don't know how clear that is in the process
    > structure. Malicious users can simply run setsid() to detach from a controlling
    > tty, thereby defeating the rule.

    Well, I wasn't thinking about killing pty-attatched processes as being
    necessarily 100% effective or secure, but merely potentially useful.
    Clearly it doesn't help in the case of a malicious forkbombing user.
    Sparing console processes seems like it should be reasonably secure though
    (at least as secure as your console is).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.020 / U:57.356 seconds]