    SubjectRe: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

    Spoke Hans de Goede <hans@highrise.nl> >
    >Now if you could find a significant number of embedded system developers
    >saying, we don't need that that is kernel polution, then I would be
    >impressed.

    I have embedded Linux in a few devices and i claim this is kernel
    pollution. I can assure you that DHCP, BOOTP and TFTP are not the only
    mechanisms for remote loading -- but you probably know that already.
    I have had to do http, ftp, ssh and nfs.
    Really where do you draw the line? Initrd already provides you mechanisms
    to cleanly extend the loading any way you want. Just write a very small
    one that could even load using your own proprietary scheme
    I would even go further and claim that your design is overly flawed if
    you embed around a single loading mechanism. You need to make it flexible.

    Maintain your own patches separately, fork if you want to but please keep
    the kernel clean. I dont plan on using that patch even if the loading
    mechanism required (for example by a customer) was tftp.

    cheers,
    jamal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.018 / U:0.440 seconds]