    SubjectRe: [Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels
    almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch writes:

    > What I basically want to do is to use a Linux kernel as the
    > second-stage boot loader. This (supposedly stable) kernel can then
    > load the "real" kernel (and possibly initrd) from wherever they may
    > be hiding (e.g. RAID, tftp through an IPsec tunnel, you name it).
    > Then it passes any useful information it may have gathered to far
    > (e.g. data from the real-mode BIOS, SCSI bus scan results, etc.) to
    > the new kernel and boots it.

    I think a kernel as second-stage bootloader is overkill. I think people
    should rather work merging the advantages of LILO and those of GRUB, to
    get a DECENT bootloader. What I hate most about LILO is the unawareness
    of file systems and the ugly menu, what GRUB lacks, is the ability of
    passing in "next-time" boot-parameters of lilo -R way - which prevents
    many people of switching from LILO to GRUB.

    Besides that, it would be really cool if you could just replace a
    running kernel by a new one, though I think it would require shutting
    down all services prior to that. Still, not going through the BIOS boot
    procedure would be an advantage...

    Find GRUB at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/grub/ (that is from memory, in case
    it's wrong, search for it at freshmeat.net).

    --
    Matthias Andree

    Hi! I'm the infamous .signature virus!
    Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!