SubjectRe: Intel 810 Random Number Generator
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> This is exactly the stuff I'd like to work on, if I had an SMP Alpha ;)
>
> It really isn't that hard to deal with for the kernel, incidentally; you
> just have to make sure you keep track of the different TSCs
> independently and use the appropriate one.

I recall speculation that the clocks aren't necessarily at the same
frequency, and aren't locked to each other.

When clocked aren't locked together, guaranteeing global ordering based
on timestamps becomes, how shall I say, an "interesting" problem :-)

You don't have an SMP Alpha _yet_, but you might as well solve this
difficult problem once and for all. Then you'll be the obvious person
to receive an SMP Alpha for testing :-)

enjoy,
-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.090 / U:0.492 seconds]