    SubjectRe: Auto-Adaptive scheduler - Final chapter ( the numbers ) ...
    Date
    FYI:
    In the telcom world we try to drive our processors at
    about 75%. Cache hits are real important here.
    In our Tandem based Call Processing machines
    we typically run with 10 to 14 MB L2 cache and even
    after tuning near everything still get much better
    improvements just keeping something in cache compared
    to major rewrites on a functional basis.
    It is kind of interesting that we see the following repeated
    on various platforms (includeing embedded) under various workloads.
    1/3 resources (time&space) for OS
    1/3 resources (applications written by us)
    1/3 resources for 1 or 2 purchased drivers or applications
    {^^^always the best but most complictated target for improvement}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:3.137 / U:0.016 seconds]