    SubjectRe: files > 2GB

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:11:40 +0000 (GMT), Riley Williams
    <rhw@MemAlpha.CX> said:

    >>> My suggestion would be to use the following rule set:

    >> What are those rules for?

    > They specify how the KERNEL should respond when it finds itself
    > running a syscall that needs to return a 32-bit off_t but has a value
    > too big to fit in one.

    That is already perfectly well defined in the LFS standard. If you open
    a file with a 32-bit off_t and the file is larger than 2G, you get
    EOVERFLOW. Similarly, extending a fd opened with 32-bit off_t past the
    2G boundary returns the same error.

    > Providing that's been done for ALL of the utilities on the system,
    > this discussion is irrelevant as the proposed scenario could not
    > arise. However, if there's just ONE utility that hasn't been compiled
    > with that flag (including those supplied in binary-only form) then
    > there is the possibility of it happenning.

    The worst that will happen is that such a utility will fail with a
    clean, well-defined error code.

    > Q. What should the kernel do when, in the middle of executing a
    > function that returns a 32-bit off_t value,
    > My reply can be summarised as follows:
    > A. If the value to be returned fits into the 32-bit off_t value,
    > return that, otherwise return -ETOOBIG

    Please read the standard before continuing with this thread, it already
    deals with these issues.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:3.380 seconds]