    SubjectRe: vm86 in kernel [was: vesafb...]
    > So now that this has been brought up, why can't a user land daemon
    > type thing be used to implement accelerated fbdev type functionality?

    For a limited subset it probably can. Except that the vesa acceleration I've
    seen is pretty piss poor.

    For consoles Vesa 1.2 is also a problem due to the banking and the fact we
    may want to change bank during an IRQ. A vesa 1.2 bios X server would be a
    great hack, but probably not terribly productive.

    > description to get the card into graphics mode (or even the BIOS
    > could be used for that), and all the complex stuff (acceleration etc)
    > can be handled by the user land daemon.

    Im under the impression Egbert Eich is doing exactly this for XFree 4.0 to
    bios initialise some cards.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.034 / U:0.216 seconds]