    SubjectRe: What to do when out of memory
    > Hi,
    > I want to bring up a topic that I have never heard dicussed but have had
    > major problems with myself.
    > The basic problem is that if I run a program that eats up all the memory
    > on the system than the kernel will start swapping crazilly and make the
    > system completely unresponsive.
    Is this a real problem, or some memory eater you made to make the point?

    If you use up real memory then the system does its best by swapping. It
    die, jsut slow down. This is usually a graceful process with real-world
    programs. Stuff get gradually slower as more meomory is used up.

    Now, if you use *way* too much memory then the only solutions
    is more memory or fewer programs. There are no other ways, no other
    os can save you either.

    > It may take a minute or two to get its
    > attention,
    Definitely, if you swap way too much. Install more RAM or move some
    apps to another machine.

    > or it may be completely locked up. From what I have seen, this
    It is not supposed to lock up, that may be a bug. Or maybe you
    are impatient, you may need to wait some more.

    > is not acceptable behavior nor is it what I would expect from any
    > UNIX-like operating system.
    > I know that your first impulse will be to tell me to set PAM's limits.conf
    > or a limits option within my shell. I think this is irrelevant. Regardless
    > of userspace settings, the kernel should handle OOM situations more
    > gracefully than swapping to death. This may be a gross oversimplification

    > of the problem (as I have no kernel hacking experience or knowledge), but
    > can't the kernel just deny memory allocations if all the memory on the
    > system is in use?
    Well, that is precisely what the limits is there for. But you refuse to
    use them.
    Some people need the ability to over-allocate, they need some huge job
    to complete even if it takes ages of swapper hell.
    Limits exists for those who need the interactive performance, or
    from nasty users.

    > Maybe there should be a few K of ram that can never be
    > allocated into just so the kernel can recover from a situation like this.

    You can always do tricks like having root running "top at a very high
    priority at some console/terminal. This will usually be responsive
    enough, and may be used for killing memory eaters. Note that "top"
    isn't enough, it must run with unusually high priority too. Set it to
    update often, like twice a second perhaps. It's pages will likely not
    swapped out much under these circumstances. Make sure nobody
    can get to this console/terminal.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.034 / U:36.452 seconds]