    SubjectRe: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM
    On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 05:25:06PM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
    > So, that is why the movie industry, pharmaceutical industry, and various
    > other groups with a huge demand for simulation and modelling computation,
    > like uniprocessor farms of the Beowulf type. I have seen descriptions
    > of a couple of Beowulf systems composed of dual-processor Alphas, but I
    > am puzzled as to why. It doesn't usually work out as effective as using
    > more single CPU machines.

    Dual CPU machines allow you to cope with small amounts of variation in
    utilisation better. I think Larry has a little rant on this subject too..
    something about Sun perceiving it as a battle between SMP and clustering
    whereas he wanted clusters of SMP machines (as he outlined elsewhere in
    this thread).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.018 / U:7.256 seconds]