    SubjectRe: Devices not supporting read-6....
    Hi Alan,
    I'm attaching mail I exchanged with Jens Axboe... apparently, I forgot to
    copy linux-scsi on my response.

    There are other appJens approaches, but Jen's should work Ok.

    Sorry, I don't have his patches.

    Subject: Re: ten byte writes/reads
    Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:27:59 -0500
    From: "Robin T. Miller" <>
    To: Jens Axboe <>

    Hi All,
    I think it's pretty safe to assume SCSI disks will accept 10-byte Read/Write
    CDB's. In fact, I reviewed several O/S drivers recently, and both NT and SCO
    only use 10 byte CDB's.

    I'm not surprised the 6-byte Write didn't work with your DVD-RAM, since 10-byte
    CDB's are mandatory for Optical and DVD's, byte 6-byte CDB's are optional.

    Sure, reverting to a 6-byte request can be done on Illegal Request sense, but
    unless you have some very old SCSI-1/CCS drives, I'm not sure you'll see a