SubjectRe: Problems with FS buffering on Linux 2.2.14
On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 09:33:16AM +0100, Reinhold Huber wrote:

> When I use two Linux boxes with a RAID array as shared storage, the following
> problem occurs:
>
> Machine 1 mounts the shared FS, modifies and unmounts it. Then machine 2
> mounts the filesystem, makes another change and unmounts it. When I look
> at the changes by mounting the FS on machine 1 again, then the changes
> disappear. Another look by machine 2 shows the correct changes.
> So I assume that the Linux kernel keeps the read buffers for filesystems
> even after the FS is unmounted, and re-uses them for the next mount of
> the same FS.

Yes. In itself nothing is wrong with that, I suppose.
In some cases not-reusing these buffers would waste a lot of time.

But if the running Linux system is not the only one that fiddles
with the disk contents then you'll have to explicitly invalidate
the buffers, e.g., using "blockdev --flushbufs device".

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.068 / U:0.656 seconds]