    SubjectRe: drivers/telephony and winmodems

    Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    > > On other Unixen (and the Non-functional Telephony platform) every CTI vendor
    > > has their own interfaces (someone say "TAPI". I need a good
    > > laugh). With
    > TAPI :-)
    > > nothing to apply suitable pressure they are going to do the same on Linux,
    > > when they finally wake up and get serious about it. Some vendors (e.g. Pika
    > > and NMS) have had beta drivers for months, with little progress. It is unclear
    > > what their real intentions are. Dialogic looks like it is about to enter the
    > > frey, with more beta drivers. Again its intentions are unclear, but I'm damned
    > > certain a core intention is to keep everything as proprietary as possible.
    > > A strong framework being pushed from within Linux development itself might
    > > mitigate this somewhat. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    > Are not current "winmodems" serious competition to so-called telephony
    > devices? They tend to be cheap...
    > Pavel

    Hey, Pavel, the socket on these Winmodems doesn't seem to fit the plug from my E1
    line. Do you have an adaptor?

    Seriously, most telephony hardware is multi-line (up to 4xE1 and 120 channels of
    voice processing per card currently), approved in lots of countries, and generally
    in a different class to a Winmodem. However, the DSP on the
    DSP-but-no-microcontroller Winmodems is adequate for many reasonable low bit rate
    vocoders (generally low bit rate == lots of DSP horse power needed for
    compression). Their low price makes reprogramming them as single line vocoders
    quite appealing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:11.596 seconds]