SubjectRe: Linux crypto patch for 2.3 kernels
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Marc Mutz wrote:

>"Mike A. Harris" wrote:
>>
><snip>
>> >
>> >Is USA the only country in the world with strange crypto export
>> >regulations? Let's not make the main linux kernel illegal for people
>> >living in such countries...
>>
>> Why not? If the USA relaxes, then I'm sure others will due to
>> pressure. The ones that matter anyways... Who cares if
>> Millenium island can legally use the official kernel?
>>
><snip>
>
>While I am aware of the fact that US citizens often think _they_ are the
>world

I agree. ;o)

>(are you US? ;-)

No. I'm 100% Canadian. Ontario specifically.

>I really, really doubt that such a point of view is a good one.

I think it depends more on the percentage of Crypto free
countries to Crypto-paranoid countries, as well as the dominance
of those countries in the world market. In other words, if every
country in the world allows crypto - except IRAQ, Ethiopia, and
the like, then I say we should "go with crypto". If Russia, USA,
or any other major world powers do not allow crypto (like the
USA, and previously France) then it would be bad to put it in -
if not illegal.

>I was thinking more of Russia than of "Millenium Islands" and I
>personally do not think that Russia will feel much pressure
>from US crypto export legislation :-(

Well let me restate that I think crypto should go in the standard
kernel *UNLESS* some major world power (country) has strong
anti-crypto laws that would cause a problem for the usage of
Linux in that country, or for a possible core developer in that
country. Small countries with small population are relatively
irrelevant IMHO... either way.

Crypto is GOOD for us, and good for the world. We just have to
be careful thats all.

>(Last time I looked at the crypto law survey page, Russia did not allow
>the use of strong crypto - or my brain becomes all but holes...)

Hmm.. That is bad then. Russia is important IMHO. This brings
up a point:

How many countries out there that have a significant population
or impact on the world - have strong crypto laws still?

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in
which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.041 / U:0.652 seconds]