SubjectQuiescent filesystems marked with EXT2_VALID_FS while still mounted?
Date
I'm fairly sure that under 2.0 kernels, if a filesystem had been unused for a
long period of time, it would be marked with EXT2_VALID_FS - with the highly
desirable effect that if the machine subsequently crashed, the filesystem
wouldn't need a fsck.

At some point before 2.2, this behaviour stopped. Now, upon recovery, the
machine will fsck every filesystem it owns, even those which hadn't been
accessed at all since the previous boot.

Was there a reason for this? Does the new buffer setup not allow us to mark
quiescent filesystems as clean? Are there races which would make this unsafe?

It'd be nice if this behaviour could be resumed, if it's at all possible.

I don't really want to have to start using autofs to mount rarely-used
partitions, if it's not absolutely necessary.

--
dwmw2