SubjectRe: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?
Date
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> We could start using 32-bit pid's any day, but for (a) /proc and (b) I'm
> not sure what makes sense in a cluster. Do we want to have the high bits
> be just high bits, or do we want them to be cluster machine ID, or do we
> want them to be thread-ID related?

Perhaps we could have it sysctl/proc controlled. The cluster ID thing is
almost certainly best done by the user. Perhaps some variables like:

pid_mask (like the earlier proposed max_pid)
pid_or (set this to bitwise-or bits onto a pid, eg cluster ID)
(yes, this value gets masked before being applied)

and maybe

tid_shift (how many bits to shift a thread id by before ORing it in)
tid_mask (more of the same)

...with defaults to make it work like it does now.

Though I think the thread id is kindof bogus - why would we want a thread
id space smaller than the process space, especially when it makes more
sense to have fifty zillion threads rather than processes? And threads are
just a narrow case of clone anyway.