SubjectRe: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1
[note email sent to linux-fsdevel, as it is OT for l-k]
Jamie Lokier writes:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > Its caught errors before that probably avoided people losing data. Its a
> > good sanity check. The "stupid" defaults are two other things
> >
> > o Using 1K blocks on large disks (4K is way faster) and
> > 4K checks way faster too
> >
> > o Not using the "sparse superblock" option on large disks
> > when creating them.
> >
> > Unfortunately I dont think there are any "in place" fixers for those
> > creation time choices.
> Sparse superblocks can be turn on/off by the current tune2fs.
> You follow it by a fsck to clean up, then it's done.
> I was hoping they'd speed up the mount but its still takes an age...
> Why does 4k blocksize check faster? (I've never tried it). Does it use
> fewer superblocks?

Not only are there 1/4 fewer (superblocks, group descriptors, inode/block
bitmaps) with 4k ext2 filesystems, but also files have fewer blocks,
including single-, double-, and triple-indirect blocks, so much less checking
for a given amount of data.

Cheers, Andreas
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert