    SubjectRe: drivers/telephony and winmodems

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Steve Underwood wrote:
    > The present telephony framework in 2.2.14 (though clearly in its infancy)
    > seems to only deal with a narrow class of requirements - simple
    > telephony cards, acting as little more than channel by channel telephone line
    > interfaces. It doesn't seem to provide well for more powerful CTI cards, which
    > keep much of the audio activity on a mezzanine switching fabric bus (MVIP,
    > SCBUS or S.100). My question is, what are the real intentions of this
    > framework?
    > On other Unixen (and the Non-functional Telephony platform) every CTI vendor
    > has their own interfaces (someone say "TAPI". I need a good laugh). With
    > nothing to apply suitable pressure they are going to do the same on Linux,
    > when they finally wake up and get serious about it. Some vendors (e.g. Pika
    > and NMS) have had beta drivers for months, with little progress. It is unclear
    > what their real intentions are. Dialogic looks like it is about to enter the
    > frey, with more beta drivers. Again its intentions are unclear, but I'm damned
    > certain a core intention is to keep everything as proprietary as possible.
    > A strong framework being pushed from within Linux development itself might
    > mitigate this somewhat. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

    I have been using the NMS cards under Linux and have been developing for
    them under Linux for a good 54-5 months now. NMS have done a straight
    port of their unix/nt driver and have used LiS (Linux Streams). Pika I
    believe have done the same kind of thing and just ported their unix
    drivers across. Dialogic supposedly have done the same.

    Noone has done anything radical, apart from NMS open sourcing their
    drivers and the core of their really good CT Access program.

    I woudl love a strong "common" framework to be pushed by ourselves, and
    with open sourced drivers, we can possibly implementthe drivers with this
    framework. However it would be hard to convince these manufacturers that
    using our framework is a better idea than their "recompile" port, as I
    guess what is very different about these manufacturers are that they have
    developed cross platform drivers already from the need of supporting
    Unixware, Solaris and NT, their development API's are also very tied down
    to how the drivers present themselves.

    I am all for helping create such a framework, and it is about time someone
    united the APIs at this kinda level. It would make Linux a better
    environment for CTI development.

    Zaheer Merali

    > > Steve >
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.022 / U:36.004 seconds]