SubjectRe: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1
Hi!

> > Erm... You know a way to fsck root without mounting it?
>
> [ Note: I said _fdisk_, not fsck. Completely different things. Fsck is
> another alias issue, though, so I'll give you an answer anyway, even
> though this is not the same issue we were discussing ]
>
> It doesn't matter.
>
> You CANNOT synchronize that case anyway, and you should just realize that
> and not even try too hard.
>
> Hint: the buffer cache is the _least_ of your worries. You have the inode
> cache and dcache already populated, and whatever you do to the buffer
> cache will have absolutely no impact on them at all.
>
> To be strictly safe, we should just do a complete unmount/remount after
> the fsck, not just what we do now (ie a "remount" without the umount). It
> hasn't ever bitten us in real use, though.

It is consistently biting me.

Case: I was editing file /tmp/foo before the crash.

fsck is running and decides to kill /tmp/foo.

But I'm clever. I do cat /tmp/foo from other console. That way I can
cat /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar and recover it.

Pavel
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+