    From (David Madore) said:
    > Bruce Janson has pointed out to me the following interesting fact:
    > whereas some people have been criticizing as "un-unixy" my proposal to
    > admit hard links between directories, it was actually permitted in the
    > very first versions of Unix, as shown in the following transcript of a
    > test I just made:

    On some ancient VAX version of Ultrix this was also possible in some cases.
    It was useful mostly for creating headaches later on, like undeletable
    directories, but unlink worked on directories too... Nice to have if you
    managed to loose .. somewhere, though. Mandatory fsck(8) afterwards. If
    this "feature" was removed later, it was probably just an oversight (aka
    bug). AFAIK, no Unix had other than the current reference counting garbage
    collection anyway, without which this won't ever work.
    Horst von Brand
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:6.408 seconds]