SubjectRe: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)
On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > almost since it's inception. They are also blocking above.net which hosts VA
> > linux systems, linux.com, Ebay, etc. Dave Rand (founder of Above.net and author
> > of the free MRTG software) is violently anti-spam. Above.net is being blocked by
>
> Then he should fix his open relays. Sorry I _get_ (got nowdays I
> use orbs) spam from above.net. There are over a hundred open
> relays on above.net from the database.

Indeed, they deserve nothing less but to get listed. Now if they
stopped firewalling ORBS, only the relaying hosts under their domain
would get listed.

Now I'm forced to block all, lest I receive any more spam.
O well, I'm already getting enough email as it is :)

> > Basically, ORBS is run by a megalomaniac who wants to force his views on others.
>
> How can someone force their views with an opt in service.

*nod*

I _chose_ to use the ORBS list for spam blocking. ORBS
never ever told me to do so, it was entirely my idea.
I love ORBS for the fact that their list really helps
me with blocking my spam.

Relays don't get listed in RBL until after the fact, now
I (and the subscribers to my 50 mailing lists) can enjoy
a relatively spam-free existance. This is well worth the
`price' of not being able to receive email from people
who did not chose their ISP well. I hope the bounces will
clue at least some of those people into switching to a
decent provider.

cheers,

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.