SubjectRe: _syscall2 in PIC code on ix86
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
> %ebx is used to hold a pointer to the GOT for PIC, and syscalls are trying
> to use ot for the second argument.

Right. That was the original problem that Keith was running into, that I
tried to fix without fully understanding how the asm constraints worked.
:)

> BTW, how is this important? glibc is doing it right, I'd say leave it along
> (and perhaps point people who want to build their own shlib using raw
> syscalls to glibc for ideas)

'Twas meant as more of a mental exercise for myself than a needed feature.
I'll agree that it's not something needed in the kernel proper. Though
maybe there should be a comment or something in unistd.h to the effect of
"we use %ebx in syscalls -- if you're using -fpic, get ready for writing
your own syscall entry macros"...

Thanks all.

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.063 / U:2.892 seconds]