SubjectRe: Why wrapping PIDs is evil [was 32bit]
Stephen Frost <sfrost@ns.snowman.net> said:

[...]

> Someone want to sit and count sometime, how many processes are
> started in a given (longish) time period? One thing that would be kind
> of cute to hand le this would be a kernel log message saying every time
> the PID count rolled over.

One data point: My machine is now up for slightly more than a day (mostly
idle, personal workstation). pids have rolled over at least once, and are
now in the 400's. No compiling the kernel or anything like that which will
boost the numbers. AFAIKS, when the system starts up in X (Gnome), it has
run some 6000 processes already (that will take some 20s here)
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616