    SubjectRe: Man - was: Re: Big Swap...
    On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

    > > The usefulness in distinquishing the two is that you know whether to look
    > > at the libs or the kernel if a problem exists.
    >
    > No. There is no such distinction.
    >
    > I guess that your question is inspired by this getpagesize() business,
    > so take that as example.
    >
    > First of all, you can test using strace whether something leads to a syscall
    > or not. In the case of getpagesize() that depends on the architecture, and
    > on the libc version, and on whether the program was compiled statically.
    > (Usually [g]libc thinks it knows the answer itself, and hence does not
    > use a system call, except possibly in the case of a Sparc under
    > glibc, where the system call getpagesize() may be used. If the program
    > was a dynamic ELF program then pagesize is derived by the ELF loader.
    > On some systems sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE) is used.)
    >
    > You see - system call? Or not? Depends on a dozen other things.
    > There is no clear-cut distinction.
    > It so happens that the man page is in man2. There is no better place.

    I won't lie and say it makes sense to me, why it's implimented as a system
    call on one architecture, library function on another, etc, and why there is no
    distinction.

    From my vantage point it would just seem to make troubleshooting a real
    bitch.

    Kernel is maintained by one group of people, libc by another. Now it is
    less of a mystery to me why there are so many conflicts and things out of sync.

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans