    SubjectRe: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);

    tigran@sco.COM said:
    > Q. What is the right design decision for Linux - to have a CONFIG_KMOD
    > dependency in the header that declares request_module() or to have
    > an extra function call in a non-performance critical code path that
    > invokes request_module() but avoid the dependency?

    Personally, I think we should avoid the dependency, and put up with the tiny
    amount of extra time it takes in non-critical code paths - if it's trying a
    request_module but kmod isn't present, then it's almost invariably going to
    fail to do what it was intending to do anyway - so who cares about a few extra

    But The Master will speak, or more likely he'll just do what he thinks is best
    and we'll work it out from that :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:10.520 seconds]