    SubjectRe: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?
    Jesse Pollard <pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> said:

    [...]

    > >[You could use some multiprecicion library for this, if you _really_ need
    > > it. Something I somehow doubt, at least I'm sure you don't need it bad
    > > enough for all other C users to suffer it]

    > As a language contstruct - if you don't need it, don't use it.

    It has a price anyway, in terms of compiler instability, size, missed
    optimizations, bugs and nonportability caused by misuse, ...

    > It does
    > simplify/clean up a lot of definitions that have variable bit widths
    > depending on archetecture. I've already fought Kerberos libraries trying
    > to compile it as a 64 bit library - (IP addresses suddently went to 64 bits,
    > other "int" structures changed to 64 bits, portability was zip.)

    Then Kerberos is broken. IP addresses are 128 bits, you know ;-)
    Adding "gimme exactly 36 bits worth of signed foo" won't make people write
    portable programs all of a sudden. I fear exactly the opposite, in fact.
    Think of somebody working on a DEC 10...

    > Most of the fields that caused problems could easily have been delt with
    > if a "int var : 32" could have been used to create the types in the
    > various data structures.

    Or even better, by using "struct sockaddr_in" et al. That way it has a
    fighting chance to survive to IPv6. With "int foo:32" it has none
    whatsoever.
    --
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl