SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, David Weinehall wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Incidentally, the cost is the same. A CDROM for Solaris is
> > > essentially the same cost as a CDROM for Linux. Once you start
> > > distributing an operating system and supporting the distributors,
> > > a "free" operating system is no longer free.
> >
> > You must pay per-installation fees for SunOS. And SunOS is long dead,
> > unless you are talking about Solaris.
>
> This is slightly off-topic, but I suggest you log on to a Solaris-machine
> sometime and use uname -a. Not a word about Solaris... The operating
> system is still SunOS, the distribution is Solaris. The fact that there
> (to my knowledge) exists no other distribution does not matter here.

Umm... They _call_ it SunOS. Unfortunately it's completely different
system, Missed'em'Vish at it. So Solaris is the only name that is (a) used
by Sun to describe their shame and (b) not misrepresenting the thing. As
usual: when the version number jumps, the quality... Honest thing for them
would be to go s/8/2000/ and be done with that.

Al, still bitter about Sun dropping the real thing and switching
to Missed'em'V fecies...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.821 / U:0.364 seconds]