    SubjectRe: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1
    On 09 January 00, Philip Blundell wrote:
    > >Of course, calling printf makes it big again, but that's no real surprise
    > >(and it's still not as big as before).
    > Yes. That would be a far harder problem to solve - the problem is just that
    > the stdio implementation in glibc is based on GNU libio, which is pretty
    > large. For space-critical applications you might want to build a library
    > containing an alternative stdio (maybe the one from newlib) and link with
    > that.

    Scott Schwartz, Paul Haahr and Byron Rakitzis have a nice *printf replacement
    library called libprint that comes in at about 6k on x86. It isn't suitable
    as a drop-in replacement (doesn't natively handle floating point formats, its
    fprint takes an fd argument instead of a FILE *, and in its format language,
    'u', 'h', 'l' and 'q' are modifiers rather than verbs), but besides its size
    it also offers user-definable conversions, snprint and an sprint variation
    that allocates enough memory by itself.

    My notes are that it was posted to comp.sources.unix as part of volume 28.
    We don't morally censure, we just want the money.
    UIN: 5655693

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:47.928 seconds]