    SubjectRe: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1
    On 09 January 00, Philip Blundell wrote:
    > >Of course, calling printf makes it big again, but that's no real surprise
    > >(and it's still not as big as before).
    >
    > Yes. That would be a far harder problem to solve - the problem is just that
    > the stdio implementation in glibc is based on GNU libio, which is pretty
    > large. For space-critical applications you might want to build a library
    > containing an alternative stdio (maybe the one from newlib) and link with
    > that.

    Scott Schwartz, Paul Haahr and Byron Rakitzis have a nice *printf replacement
    library called libprint that comes in at about 6k on x86. It isn't suitable
    as a drop-in replacement (doesn't natively handle floating point formats, its
    fprint takes an fd argument instead of a FILE *, and in its format language,
    'u', 'h', 'l' and 'q' are modifiers rather than verbs), but besides its size
    it also offers user-definable conversions, snprint and an sprint variation
    that allocates enough memory by itself.

    My notes are that it was posted to comp.sources.unix as part of volume 28.
    --
    We don't morally censure, we just want the money.
    UIN: 5655693