    SubjectRe: v2.3.17pre1 - Patches, Complaints, Questions and Jubilations
    On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >The SMP automatic deadlock detection parts of the IKD are extremely
    >simple, impact none of the mainline code, and are occasionally very

    There are many kind of automatic deadlock detection in the ikd patch. I
    believe you are talking about the IO-APIC-NMI_WATCHDOG from Ingo, since
    it's the only one that may run on a serious production envinroment as a
    default thing.

    But the NMI patch has a performance-downside too: the timer irq will be
    driven from the 8259 and not from the apic chip (the io-apic will instead
    run an NMI irq for the same hardware-event), and that means all timer irq
    handlers will be run on the first CPU and so the kernel will scale worse
    (the other CPU may be idle at the same time).

    So if you want it into the stock kernel I am fine with it, but I believe
    it's not a good idea to make it a default thing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:8.032 seconds]