SubjectRe: driver for 3COM USR PCI v.90 modem?
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> I looked over the 3com web site for modems, and _all_ PCI modems there
> appear to be Winmodems (they require Windows for operation, not just for
> running the programs on the CDs as explicitly stated in the specs; as
> opposed to the equivalent ISA models). OTOH, the Red Hat site states that
> PCI modems based on the Lucent Venus chipset can be made to work.

Horst,

Nowadays you get "designed for windows95" or even "requires win95" on
virtually everything, which I think should be present only on
garbage bins so your observation of what they call "minimum system
requirements" is not enough to satisfy me.

The only way forward is to actually look at the beast which I was too
tired to do yesterday but intend to do today. That will destroy all the
doubts and mist surrounding the issue.

Also, I have strong suspicion that 5610 and 5690 PCI models are *not*
winmodems, they are just unsupported PCI devices which use mapped memory
to communicate with the host.

Regards,
Tigran.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.070 / U:0.348 seconds]