    SubjectRe: config-menus
    On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Guest section DW wrote:

    > From: David Weinehall <>
    > On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > o A "Prompt for drivers/code flagged DANGEROUS" option in the
    > > > code-maturity section that is conditional depending on EXPERIMENTAL
    > >
    > > What is the difference between experimental/dangerous, except the latter
    > > scares people.
    > That was kind of the idea... There is a reason for flagging code
    > DANGEROUS. Only people who really doesn't care if their dogs die, their
    > grandmas get abducted by aliens, their disks crashed and their screens
    > burned out enables such code, while many wannabe hackers enables
    > EXPERIMENTAL code.
    > You are entirely mistaken.
    > If I enable EXPERIMENTAL, it is not because I want to be a hacker,
    > it is because my machine has a RealTek 8139 ethernet card.
    > (Yes, it works fine, thank you.)

    :^) I use experimental options too, but for instance experimental
    filesystems isn't something I'd use on machine where work other than
    development is performed, and experimental net-support might be cool, but
    not on web-servers, etc...

    CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL makes all the DANGEROUS options available as
    it stands now. My change removes that.

    This gives an opportunity to make it clearer what things are experimental
    in a "safe" way (ok, you might hang your computer and lose a file or two,
    but you'll have most of your disk intact), and what's really mean.

    In my opinion, there are quite a lot of drivers that could lose that
    EXPERIMENTAL-flag without too much trouble; many drivers that are flagged
    such are more stable than some of those not flagged as such....

    > It's all a question of psychology. While EXPERIMENTAL sounds cool
    and > inviting, DANGEROUS doesn't quite have that ring to itself...
    > No. That is why we shouldnt use DANGEROUS.

    As an option, or why we shouldn't use such drivers?

    _ _
    // David Weinehall <> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.021 / U:30.320 seconds]