    SubjectRe: Fixing the SCSI layer
    On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    > I've been trying to debug a high performance fibrechannel HA under Linux. I'm
    > now in a situation where its 50/50 whether the bugs remaining are in the
    > scsi layer or the adapter.
    >
    > The scsi code however is so hard to read its going to be quicker to clean
    > it up and fix bits than to try and debug it further. Is anyone else trying
    > to clean up the scsi mess currently.
    >
    > I'm not going to write some new scsi layer, sorry someone crazier can do that
    > just to clean up the cruft, including stuff like banging it all through
    > indent and extracting common code into functions, moving long complex conditional
    > code into functions etc.
    >
    > I'd appreciate a couple of eyeballs over the following first small patches
    > to extract 'do a command and wait for it'

    I've been trying to write a driver for the OnStream 50GB tape drives. I've
    got it done in userland with SG, but am trying to move it into a kernel
    driver, and trawling through the SCSI mid layer is getting me nowhere.
    Should I maybe wait for a tidy up of the mid layer before continuing work
    on the driver, or would I be waiting indefinately for that to happen?

    Thanks.

    Terry.

    ---
    Terry Hardie terry@gxc.com
    Vice President - Network Operations ICQ#: 977679
    Global Exchange Carrier, Manassas, VA, USA V: +1-703-361-5566
    "The Internet Long Distance Company"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:1.372 seconds]