SubjectRe: Profiling the kernel?
You might want to check the Linux Trace Toolkit :

www.info.polymtl.ca/~karym/trace

It will enable you to know exactly what is happening in your system at
each moment. You could also try Andrea Arcangelli's kernel profiling
patch, for which I don't remember the link, but it shouldn't be hard
to find, if you search around a little.