SubjectRe: Amanda VFAT Incremental Backups Broken in linux-2.2.1[12]
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Mind if I repeat your comment as quoted above:

Sorry, I was wrong there, but what I've said does apply directly to FAT

> 1. ctime is the time when the file was first created.
Oh well, you've got lots of company. Like Microsoft.

For unix the "ctime" on the inode is, and always has been, the time of
the last change to the inode or file. It was never the creation time.
It's in there specifically for incremental backups AIUI.

> Therefore, the following relationship MUST hold...
>
> ctime <= mtime <= atime
This wouldn't even hold if it was the Create time, the modified time can
and is set to _anything_ by tools like zip and tar.

> ...since a file can be neither modified nor accessed before it is
> created, and modifying a file also constitutes accessing it.
Not always, an append will not change the accessed time.

--
Rob. (Robert de Bath <http://poboxes.com/rdebath>)
<rdebath @ poboxes.com> <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>