    SubjectRe: Amanda VFAT Incremental Backups Broken in linux-2.2.1[12]
    On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

    > Hi Robert.
    > > There is only one date on a file on a VFAT partition and as
    > > every command down to the DOS copy command preserves that date
    > > you cannot see what's been changed.
    > > Hopefully the ctime is being set to now (or now-1); this is the
    > > _right_ thing to do.
    > > There is a good feature of VFAT (I _DONT_ believe it !!! a GOOD
    > > feature in VFAT!!!!!!!) in the archive bit. This would provide
    > > reliable incrememtal backups ... but it can't be mapped onto
    > > Unix semantics.
    > Depends what you mean by 'mapped' actually. My suggestion would be to
    > use it to determine the mtime to be presented, according to the
    > following rules:
    > 1. If the archive bit is set, anything asking for the mtime
    > gets one of the following:
    > a. The current time.
    > b. The latest of the system boot time and the ctime time.
    > Which is chosen would depend on the exact semantics required.
    > 2. If the archive bit is clear, anything asking for the mtime
    > always gets the ctime time.
    > Perhaps somebody can advise what is wrong with that?
    > The only possible problem I can see is in the fact that there would
    > have to be some means to turn the archive flag off that worked with
    > the various backup programs and was consistant with the semantics
    > used.

    Have you got confused about ctime vs mtime ?

    But yes you could do:
    mtime = dos_mtime
    ctime = arch?now:dos_mtime
    atime = dos_mtime

    But how do you reset the Arch bit ?

    Rob. (Robert de Bath <>)
    <rdebath @> <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:1.576 seconds]