    SubjectRe: Re: Re: 2048 bytes/sector media in 2.2.12
    On Wed, Sep 29 1999, Jens Benecke wrote:
    > Let me get this straight (before I jump out to eggheads and buy the wrong
    > thing).
    > - Which kind of media does Linux read?

    All kinds - CD, DVD.

    > - Which kinds of media does Linux write, and in what formats?

    DVD-RAM can be used directly and should work.

    > - cdrecords always tells me about "Starting to write CD/DVD...(etc)" -
    > does that mean that I don't have direct write access to the media, but
    > have to create an image file and burn it like a CD?

    I'm working on CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R direct writes and it's
    looking really promising now. Right now you have to write these
    types of media with a dedicated writer program, such as cdrecord.

    > - Can it serve as short-term backup media (for constantly changing data)
    > (but big size files, so CDs are not an option)?

    Then DVD-RAM is probably your best choice.

    * Jens Axboe <>
    * Linux CD-ROM Maintainer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:16.416 seconds]