SubjectRe: Serial console broken in 2.3.18
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Tom Livingston wrote:

> Hello. I have been using a serial console to capture an OOPS I have been
> encountering with the ide system. I have been using 2.2.12 + ikd + serial
> console to do my work, as I needed the NMI oopser from ikd.
>
> I just tried switching to 2.3.18, to use ingo molnar's built in NMI oopser
> that works great. However, I can't get the serial console to work all the
> way through the boot.
>
> I had the same experience with 2.3.18 and 2.3.18ac10. If serial console is
> enabled in kernel and with console flags, everything goes well printing
> console boot output to the serial port, until I get to here:
>
> > [kernel boot log, already in progress...]
> > Starting kswapd v1.6
> > Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
> > Serial driver version 4.30 with SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI PCI_IOMEM enabled
>
> After this point, nothing further is written to the serial port. In fact,
> once I've booted I can't send anything else to the serial port either.

I've reported this on this list, I guess your kernel parameters are
something like this:

append="console=ttyS1 console=tty0"

change it to just:

append="console=ttyS1"

and all messages will go to the serial console, but you won't get the
console messages in tty0, as usual (this is the bug).

> If I do dmesg > /dev/ttyS1
> cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
> shows tx incrementing each time, but nothing is displayed.
>
> If I disable serial console in the kernel, everything works as expected...
> no serial console output, but dmesg > /dev/ttyS1 shows up fine. This
> configuration also works fine with 2.2.12
>
> ttys are:
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> config is RH60 base, abit-bp6, dual c366 on board serial ports. Running
> SMP.

And if this helps, my machine is a dual PII, SMP enabled, hummm,
lemme try with smp disabled...

- Arnaldo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.061 / U:0.376 seconds]