    SubjectRe: Serial console broken in 2.3.18
    On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Tom Livingston wrote:

    > Hello. I have been using a serial console to capture an OOPS I have been
    > encountering with the ide system. I have been using 2.2.12 + ikd + serial
    > console to do my work, as I needed the NMI oopser from ikd.
    >
    > I just tried switching to 2.3.18, to use ingo molnar's built in NMI oopser
    > that works great. However, I can't get the serial console to work all the
    > way through the boot.
    >
    > I had the same experience with 2.3.18 and 2.3.18ac10. If serial console is
    > enabled in kernel and with console flags, everything goes well printing
    > console boot output to the serial port, until I get to here:
    >
    > > [kernel boot log, already in progress...]
    > > Starting kswapd v1.6
    > > Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
    > > Serial driver version 4.30 with SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI PCI_IOMEM enabled
    >
    > After this point, nothing further is written to the serial port. In fact,
    > once I've booted I can't send anything else to the serial port either.

    I've reported this on this list, I guess your kernel parameters are
    something like this:

    append="console=ttyS1 console=tty0"

    change it to just:

    append="console=ttyS1"

    and all messages will go to the serial console, but you won't get the
    console messages in tty0, as usual (this is the bug).

    > If I do dmesg > /dev/ttyS1
    > cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
    > shows tx incrementing each time, but nothing is displayed.
    >
    > If I disable serial console in the kernel, everything works as expected...
    > no serial console output, but dmesg > /dev/ttyS1 shows up fine. This
    > configuration also works fine with 2.2.12
    >
    > ttys are:
    > ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    > ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    >
    > config is RH60 base, abit-bp6, dual c366 on board serial ports. Running
    > SMP.

    And if this helps, my machine is a dual PII, SMP enabled, hummm,
    lemme try with smp disabled...

    - Arnaldo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.066 / U:90.976 seconds]