SubjectRe: Small thinko in serial.c
On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:05:36PM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> My guess is that nobody is using serial lines for anything else than PPP
> to an ISP, so nobody will notice the occasional corrupted packet.... I'm
> also seeing too many overruns (for 115k2 with hardware handshake). I'm
> still investigating.

Don't I wish. A while back I switched to XModem G streaming on a system
that serves as an EDI VAN, and have been seeing lots of bad transmissions
ever since -- mostly from overruns, but ocassionally from bad CRCs (which
don't seem to have been caused by serial overruns). Since I'm in control of
the software on both ends, I've put artificial delays every so many packets
on both sides until I get this worked out.

I've been wondering if it was something I did that disabled the
modem-to-modem compression flow control; or something wrong with my
software. I've spent quite a while making sure it's not the software. I'm
still not sure that the flow control between the 2 modems isn't part of the
problem, though.

The serial overruns were a surprise. We're connecting at 28 to 32 kbps, and
running the ports at 115.2. If there is anything that I can do to provide
something that would help to debug this, please let me know.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.084 / U:0.116 seconds]