SubjectRe: [ OFFTOPIC ] Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)
On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:20:30PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Charles K Hardin wrote:
> > it still amazes me that software people whine about their not being a
> > product out there, when they should know that you cann't give a hard
> > deadline that this software will be written and done on a such and
> > such a date...
>
> In this group we often release software _before_ it's finished,
> precisely so that people can see how it's going. Make suggestions.
> Contribute, participate. There is no requirement for hard deadlines.
>
> A lot of software is announced and never released. I think the
> complaint is that BitKeeper is in the same category as, say, PC-Tel's
> winmodem driver for Linux. I.e. it probably exists but until we see it,
> it may as well not exist.

Talk to the Linux/Merced folks, they've been using it for 3-4 months.
So, why, you ask, isn't it generally released yet? Mainly because
we aren't set up to support the thundering herd. We'd really like
to know that we can't break it before it is released.

On top of that, Linus & Co. are likely to try it out when it gets released.
That's sort of a one shot deal, in my opinion. He isn't real likely to
try it, not like it, go back to tarballs, and then try it again. At least,
in my experience, people switch source management systems either never or
once, but very rarely twice. So I'd kind of like this to be as painless
as possible.

For what it is worth, we're expanding our beta to include the Linux/PPC
crowd and if that works out we'll open it up some more.
--
---
Larry McVoy lm@bitmover.com http://www.bitmover.com/lm