    SubjectRe: Pioneer DVD 114 vs. 2.2.5 ide driver
    On Tue, Sep 28 1999, Derek J. Balling wrote:
    > > > hdc: ATAPI 0X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
    > >
    > >The 103S Pioneer DVD drive reports 0 speed as well. Don't worry
    > >about it, it has no effect on its performance.
    > I think the point he's making is that, regardless of whether it affects
    > performance or not, it's the wrong speed figure. I freely admit to not
    > knowing the first thing about the code (I lurk on linux-kernel mainly to
    > keep abreast of what's new and upcoming, not because I have any C
    > programming skill), but if this is a commonality to DVD drives, then why
    > not just skip reporting the speed entirely. (e.g., report "hdc: ATAPI
    > DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache"). Or, alternatively, if the speed is "0", skip
    > the speed (since we know that unless your CD-ROM is broken, it's probably
    > faster than zero-speed *g*)
    > Just $0.02 worth from the peanut gallery.

    The speed figure comes out of the capabilities page and as
    such I just have to believe what the drive tells me. DVD drives
    are covered by newer specs (Mt Fuji / MMC) that report the
    cap page as being deprecated, but considering the huge gaps
    drives otherwise exhibit wrt these specs, I'm suprised that
    Pioneer decided to drop the speed listing all together. A
    more fancy speed reading can be obtained through the newer
    GET_PERFORMANCE command, but I'm not going to look at that
    merely for reporting a more "correct" max speed.

    * Jens Axboe <>
    * Linux CD-ROM Maintainer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:32.652 seconds]