    SubjectRe: sym53c875E-0: PCI clock seems too high

    Andreas Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de> writes:

    > On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 11:08:26PM +0200, Gerard Roudier wrote:
    > > Overcloking a CPU that is in fact sold with an underclocked specification
    > > is one thing. Overclocking a BUS and then everything that connect to it by
    > > more than 10% was not imaginable by me. By the way, I think that people
    > > that overclock PCI 33 Mhz buses up to 41MHz or more are just foolish and
    > > plain idiot, but I don't care of them.
    >
    > Even though bus overclocking may work for many devices, SCSI
    > controllers are known to react very allergic to that. Overclocking the
    > bus while using SCSI is therefore exceptionally stupid, given that data
    > integrity could suffer.

    First off let's remember how CPU's are manufactured. Typically there's
    no difference between, say, a 433Mhz chip and a 333Mhz chip - the
    likelyhood is that they came off the same production line and the only
    difference is that the faster chip passed a (quite short) set of tests
    at that speed.

    The same applies to all the components in the system - all are
    designed to work with an "acceptable" error rate at a given speed but
    some will work at higher speeed, however, unlike CPUs there's not
    usually a higher value attached to faster parts.

    I don't really see that there's any fundamental difference between
    overclocking a bus and overclocking a CPU - both are making an
    assumption and a trade-off between the acceptable safety margin and
    performance. For my home machine this trade off definately favours
    performance.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.044 / U:0.444 seconds]