    SubjectRe: Why is chmod(2)?
    Alex Nicolaou <> wrote:
    > Hmm, I learned something new today. Why can a file with mode 000 be opened
    > by root? This facility seems pointless since root can always chmod the
    > file?

    Because the chmod is intrusive, and what should be a simple read operation
    has now turned into a write-read-write operation.

    For example, you're backing up a filesystem with 000 files on it. Does tar
    *really* have to play with the inode (and thus change the ctime) just to
    read a file to back it up? What if it's on a read-only filesystem?

    Having the sort of semantics that require this sort of fiddling just gets in
    the way, and I'm not convinced it gains anything.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.027 / U:14.820 seconds]