SubjectRe: 2.2.10/12 kernel crashes
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> One thing that occurs to me--at what vga level do those who are crashing
> start Linux? I generally start mine in fb mode 0317, and run X of
> course, which might possibly cause a problem. Shouldn't, though, I
> don't think. Other commonalities? THere's gotta be something similar
> between all these crashes!

all crashes which occured to me were when i was actively working loged to
system through Xwindows (GNOME desktop environment).

some crashes which i was able to reproduce were on kernels 2.2.7-2.2.9 (if
i remember correctly; see archives of this m-list) and ocured about 15-30
minutes after start-up of my image conversion batch job. at first, i was
runing it from CD (source files on my local CD-ROM) and results store on
remote NFS file system. then i was runing it from CD to IDE disk - it
still crashes. now i'm running it from CD to my SCSI disk - no crashes
till now (tried three times). between that i upgraded kernel to current
2.2.13pre11.

till 2.2.12 (when i was running my "job" from CD to CSCI HD) i gat rid of
crashes trigered by that "job" but some sound related crashes started
occuring (i think they are sound related because i get some "kernel:
Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?" messages and
crashes occurs only when i'm running xmms and playing some MP3s).

alan suggested to me that maybe i got broken and/or overheated HW - maybe.
i can't try thst on something other (for now). also while all this happens
on my machine at work i can't make some more testing (boss wont be happy
about me making something else when i'm suposed to do what i'm paid for).

but those crashes are annoing ... now it's almost like running redmond's
OS. :(

hany

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.058 / U:0.024 seconds]