    SubjectRe: Ext3 filesystem info?

    On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Jesse Pollard wrote:

    > > ls is fixable. Possibly by extending "ls -l" to show acl's or at
    > > least indicate in some way that acl's are present. The latter may
    > > be preferable to avoid script incompatibilities, sonething like this:
    > > Arw-r--r-- 1 helge helge 140 Feb 9 1999 .bash_profile
    > > The 'A' indicates that acl(s) are present, the user may then use
    > > something like "ls --acl" and get the full acl information.
    > Due to the possible size of the ACL (it is a list, after all), the UNIX
    > ls command should not try to implement a "--acl". They could list up
    > to 256 ACL entries, which would definitely be a pain in a "ls -R --acl".
    > They only show a flag to indicate an ACL exists. It would be up to the
    > user to select an appropriate utility to display the ACL for a file/directory.
    > Consider: ls is used as a search tool to locate certain files that match a
    > pattern. To exend ls to be able to search an ACL to match a pattern would
    > be unreasonable; but it is reasonable for a dedicated utility.

    This brings up another issue.

    Who is allowed to see what ACLs are in place?

    I know I would feel pretty insulted if I looked at a friend's ACL and he
    gave everyone BUT me LOOKUP access to his directories. It'd also suck
    for that person if I found out. :)

    --Michael Bacarella

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.019 / U:7.584 seconds]