SubjectRe: Linux and real device drivers

Momchil> Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> No, for Gigabit Ethernet I have to do some 5-10 read/writes per
>> packet to PCI shared memory, however these are not all one large
>> block and go to different places in the PCI shared mem area. Most
>> of this will have to be done with multiple UDI calls, unless they
>> came up with a scatter/gather type list for this .... yuck.

Momchil> For what I can understand from the spec, they have came up
Momchil> with some kind of a bytecode much more powerfull than a
Momchil> simple scatter/gather list. Hey, you can even store such
Momchil> "procedures" in a ROM on the board, and execute them no
Momchil> matter which processor or OS you use, something much similar
Momchil> to IEEE 1275's FCode.

I find it hard to imagine how byte code can be more efficient than a
scatter/gather list ... maybe it is flexible but I am in this for
performance.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.193 / U:0.024 seconds]