SubjectRe: 1000ms delay in networking stack or driver, new bug
<delurk>
I have observed this sporadically over the past few weeks, between my
Linux and nt (I have to keep a couple around for my last remaining
non-Linux-based project) boxen.

Linux box 1:
RH6 kernel 2.2.5-15 (stock out of the box) kernel on a K6-2 300,
upgraded from RH5.1, two interfaces: eth0, a Tulip-based netgear, eth1,
3c509-Boomerang. This box is running ipchains with eth1 managed by
pump, and eth0 serving dhcp to the other machines. I upgraded this
machine to kernel 2.2.12, as well as trying the latest drivers from
Donald Becker's site (I'm relieved to hear about this from other people,
since that means Donald &co's drivers are of the usual excellent quality
(thanks Donald!)). I have seen problems with both interfaces being
dog-slow but I had chalked up the 3c509's slowness to our
(cable-modem-ish) ISP. On the tulip, I saw the same thing other people
did: 1000ms pings, as well as "floods" of lost pings coming back all at
once with response times very close to multiples of 1000 ms.

Linux box 2:
RH6 PII-400 upgraded to 2.2.12, pump-managed 3c509C (Tornado?) with
latest drivers.

The ping delay occurs when pinging both ways between Linux 1 and Linux 2
and from Linux 1 to either nt box. I haven't tried from nt to Linux
yet.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart generally clears things up. I haven't
yet fired up tcpdump but will attempt it next time this happens.

Regards,
Brian Strand
</delurk>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.027 / U:0.328 seconds]