SubjectRe: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

I know about this, but not a clue to resolve the issue.
I have brought up the issue with Promise and they are working with me.
There is a duplicate issue with M$'s NT, I hope to get the method of
resolution to this problem and not "miniport" code.

First test to verify the problem, build another kernel that is UP.
Include raid and rag the hell out of the box.
This should not fail, based upon other test reports.

If the box throttles in UP, the driver core is RAID UP Stable.

Second, disable RAID under SMP and push a sequencal access on the last
two channels.

What is the irq routing table for this board?
Did you remove all the Promise BIOS chips execpt for the one that
registers hde/f/g/h ?

Have you patched with "ide.2.2.12.19990921.patch.bz2"?
New Promise OEM support.

You are required to set these for more than two cards.
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
PDC202XX_FORCE_BURST_BIT=y

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > i have here the same problem
> >
> > System:
> >
> > Asus P2B-D
> > + 2 * Promise UDMA/66 controllers
> > + 1 * Adaptec 2940UW
> > + 1 * 3com 3c905b
> > and dual p2-450 / 512mb ram
> > + 1 * 9.1u2w ibm scsi hd
> > + 5 * 25gb ibm ide hd (1 on the onboard controller and 4 on the promise
> > controllers)
> >
> > running now in UP mode, because in SMP mode the system just crashes when
> > trying to fsck the raid partition (after a few seconds)
>
> Are you running a vanilla kernel built with gcc 2.7.2 or egcs. If so then
> Im very interesting in trying to debug this one.
>
> > when not turning the raid on (so no ide usage) the system runs ok (not
> > tried for days)
>
> What about if you run the IDE but not raid. Eg boot an SMP kernel with
> init=/bin/sh and then do hdparm -t /dev/hda - does that lock ?
>
> Alan
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.226 / U:0.252 seconds]