SubjectRe: ACLs (was: Ext3 filesystem info?)
On Sep 20,  9:39pm, Benjamin Scott wrote:
} Subject: ACLs (was: Ext3 filesystem info?)

Good afternoon to everyone on the kernel list. I hope that the
approaching mid-week finds things going well.

> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> > Not to mention that auditing a system using ACLs for security is much*
> > more difficult. And that such a system would break all mature UNIX
> > tools' notions of what is secure. ACLs tend to be an answer for people who
> > are asking the wrong question anyway.

> I strongly disagree with that last sentence. There are a number of things
> that ACLs let you do, that standard UNIX security does not. I would even
> argue that ACLs can lead to better security, as it allows you to specify
> combinations which would be difficult or impossible with traditional UNIX
> mechanisms. Like most anything, it depends on the application.

I would have to agree with the general course that this thread is
taking.

I am in the process of architecting a new service infrastructure for
our local university. It is predicated on a Category of Service model
and as such defines different classes of service as well as QOS type
things for the services.

One of the big issues that I am dealing with right now is file and
print services. We have a reasonably substantial Novell presence and
I am looking at providing file services through a Linux based Samba
solution. I have already integrated our Kerberos/LDAP
authentication/authorization mechanisms into the Samba sources and I
am now looking at issues that will affect a more general roll-out.

One of the things that quickly becomes apparent is that the standard
UNIX permission model becomes a serious limitation when attempting to
replicate Novell file services with an SMB based solution. At least
in a university setting there is a general tendency for groups of
users to want to share files and/or a common workplace. We have
jumped through a number of hoops with groups and somewhat exotic
permission structures to implement desired accessibility models.

I am tracking ACL's under Linux right now to develop a more
generically useful file sharing model with SMB. I think that LDAP
driven ACL support for Samba offers some promise for an intrigueing
set of solutions.

> Benjamin Scott

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Benjamin Scott

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Enjellic Systems Development - Specializing
4206 N. 19th Ave. in information infra-structure solutions.
Fargo, ND 58102 WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
Phone: 701-281-1686 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com